Do you have young kids and feel stressed just thinking about taking family photos? I have a few quick tips to make your session a success!
- Number one tip is… Don’t Stress!!! I know it is hard when you’re trying to get you family ready, but kids can sense when their parents are stressed and they feed off your energy. Allow plenty of time to get ready so you are not rushed leaving, but more so to allow time to run back home when you inevitably forget something…like the perfect bow for your 2 year old, your Aggie ring, or your wedding rings! Yes, this has all happened to my clients!
- Make sure everyone is well fed before the session, including yourself, and of course Dad! Everyone is happier on a full tummy! Don’t be afraid to bring snacks for a bribe. Marshmallows are great because they are white and won’t leave an orange mess around your mouth like gold fish.
- Plan your wardrobe! I send custom style boards for every session to help you look and feel your best. I love muted tones! They keep the look of your portraits timeless and keep the focus and attention on your family.
- Don’t scold your child or threaten them during the session. As long as they are safe, it is always best to keep the energy positive. Sure enough, while you’re giving your child the stink eye, your kids will be smiling perfectly.
- The final piece of advice is to just have fun! Let loose! Play, snuggle, laugh, and soak up these moments with your kids. Before you know it, they won’t be so little anymore!
Here is an example of a recent session where mom and dad definitely followed these tips and guess what!? With two baby boys, one barely 2 years and the other only 9 months, we were able to capture so much joy and love between them! Seriously, could this family be any cuter!!?